|KMS instructions and Trouble-Shooting|
|1. KMS instructions|
n Microsoft Key Management Services (KMS) provides a way to automatically activate volume license editions of Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office.
n KMS activation is available for the following Microsoft products within NTHU network, otherwise, you can use the VPN service.
。Windows 11、Windows 10、Windows 8.1、Windows 7
。Office 2021 、Office 2019 、Office 2016 、Office 2013 、Office 2010
n NTHU Campus licensed Windows is an upgrade version, it’s not allowed to install on computer without earlier version, and it will fail on KMS activation.
n Our KMS activation server is only reachable from within the NTHU network. However, you can still activate via KMS from off-campus by connecting to NTHU Network with our Virtual Private Network (VPN) service. When you connect to NTHU via VPN, your computer is on the NTHU network, and has full access to services that are restricted to campus. This includes the KMS activation server.
n Once you have connected to the VPN server, your software should activate automatically. The activation will be good for 180 days. If 180 days pass without reconnecting to the NTHU network, your software will enter its 30-day grace period mode, and display a warning message. You can take that as a prompt to connect to the VPN again.
|3. KMS Authentication|
n Please click the link [Computer & Communication Center/ In-campus Authorized Software] for KMS authentication of NTHU campus licensed Windows and Office.
|4. Troubleshooting Steps for Common KMS Activation Issues|
n Error code 0XC004F035: The Software Protection Service reported that the computer could not be activated with a Volume license product key.
-This error code equates to “The Software Protection Service reported that the computer could not be activated with a Volume license product key...” The error text is correct, but is ambiguous. This error indicates that the computer is missing a Windows marker in the BIOS – provided on OEM systems to indicate computers shipping with qualifying editions of Windows, which is a requirement for KMS client activation. Error: Invalid Volume License Key In order to activate, you need to change your product key to a valid Multiple Activation Key (MAK) or Retail key. You must have a qualifying operating system license AND a Volume license Windows 7 upgrade license, or a full license for Windows 7 from a retail source. ANY OTHER INSTALLATION OF THIS SOFTWARE IS IN VIOLATION OF YOUR AGREEMENT AND APPLICABLE COPYRIGHT LAW.
n Error code 0XC004F074: The Software Protection Service reported that the computer could not be activated. No Key Management Service (KMS) could be contacted.
-Check your Internet connection, the initial KMS activation process requires network connectivity to the NTHU campus network, either through a wired, wireless, or VPN connection.
-In order for your connection and activation to be successful, your system timezone setting has to match KMS server. To correct this issue and move forward with your activation: Open Control Panel, clicking Clock, Language, and Region, and then clicking Date and Time. Click Change time zone and be sure to set timezone to UTC+8 Taipei.
n Error code 0xC004F038: The Software Protection Service reported that the computer could not be activated. The count reported by your Key Management Service (KMS) is insufficient. Please contact your system administrator.
-The count on the KMS host is not high enough. The KMS count must be ≥25 for Windows client.
-More computers are needed in the KMS pool for KMS clients to activate. Run Slmgr.vbs /dli to get the current count on the KMS host.
n Error code 0xC004F039: The Software Protection Service reported that the computer could not be activated. The Key Management Service (KMS) is not enabled.
-This error occurs when a KMS request is not answered.
-Troubleshoot the network connection between the KMS host and the client. Make sure that TCP port 1688 (default) is not blocked by a firewall or otherwise filtered.
n Error code 0x80070005: Access denied. The requested action requires elevated privileges.
-User Account Control (UAC) prohibits activation processes from running in a non-elevated command prompt.
Right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as Administrator.
n Error code 0xC004C008: One copy of Windows might have been installed on multiple PCs.
-It's an OEM operating system, not the campus licensing version.
- Your computer's hardware has been changed.
- Windows was reinstalled on the same computer
- Your Windows product key was transferred from another computer.
- The Windows product key that you're trying to use has already been used on the maximum number of computers that your license allows.
- If you changed your hardware, reinstalled Windows. In other case, contact your seller for more support.
n Error code 0xC004F06C: The Software Protection Service reported that the computer could not be activated. The Key Management Service (KMS) determined that the request timestamp is invalid.
- The system time on the client computer is too different from the time on the KMS host.
- Time sync is important to system and network security for a variety of reasons. Fix this issue by changing the system time on the client to sync with the KMS. Use of a Network Time Protocol (NTP) time source or Active Directory Domain Services for time synchronization is recommended. This issue uses UTP time and is independent of Time Zone selection.
n Error code 0XC004F017: The Software Licensing Service reported that the license is not installed.
- Please uninstall the earlier version , download and install the campus version of Office, and then reactivate it.
- Refer to the uninstallation method “Why can't I successfully install Office? How to uninstall the built-in trial version of Office on a newly purchased computer?”
n Error code 0XC004C003 , 0x803F7001: We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license or product key.
- Please first confirm whether the installed operating system version is the authorized version of the school, and the confirmation method is as follows:
Enter slmgr -dlv in the CMD window, and confirm whether the description is the VOLUME_KMSCLIENT channel. If not, please use the correct mass-licensed version to install.
- Please enter the following command in the CMD window
slmgr.vbs -ipk NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43
n When activating Windows shows "Windows is running within the non-genuine notification period. Run 'slui.exe' to go online and validate Windows."
- Download the file KMS-KB971033.bat , put it on your DESKTOP, right-click to Run as Administrator.
- Please refer to the Microsoft official instructions.